Sunday, September 7, 2008

End of an Era.





Some may know that sailing has been a part of my life since I was a little fat kid. I started sailing at age four with my dad. It was awesome, just kickin it with dad on the boat enjoying the day while probably winning due to what I know now to be no part of my own. Since then I have grown up and we have moved onto bigger and better boats, progressing nationally into a contender for the championships. While we never won a national championship, we came close finishing second many times and top five in too many to count.
I moved on from catamarans to dinghy boats when I came to college and developed into a pretty good sailor after a few years of getting my ass handed to me, but my college career ended last semester as riding got in the way and in general I lost interest in sailing at that level.
This weekend was the last time that I get to sail competitively, it was just that time that we decided to sell the boat as our oppurtunities to sail grew slimmer and slimmer, while also having to travel farther and farther away. The amount of fun that can be had on the boat we sail is tremendous, the potential for speed and the "on the edge" feeling provided by the boat is like no other. But having to travel long distances to sail against fewer and fewer people takes its toll. Dad and I came to the conclusion that it was time to hang up the spurs after 17 years of sailing together.
The weekend was great as we won four of five races to take the overall; but pretty sad at the same time since we had to say goodbye to many people that I have known since I was a kid and have been a large part of my life. I will miss them.


No comments: