Tuesday, August 12, 2008

perspective

Its kinda funny how when your a kid and your parents tell you how much better it is to give then recieve and you call then jokers for being so wrong. But when you grow up (and by no means does this imply that I am growing up/maturing) you start to realize more joy in the giving because you know that you have done something for someone else.

I have been extraordinarily fortunate in everything from oppurtunities I've had to resources (money) that may or may not have been provided by my parents. So there isn't really much that could be given that would really make me happy. I mean should someone happen to turn over a 48" plasma, I'd shit my pants but nevertheless I find much more joy in the act of giving.

As well bikes are my escape from reality, I absolutely love riding and spending time talking about racing and all the cool crap I'm getting for my bike that will make it 6 pounds. So when I get the oppurtunity to mix the two by giving time or parts of bike stuff to friends, I relish the moment. A few years ago I was able to put together a project bike for a roomate that took a ridiculous amount of my time in researching cheap parts and great deals such that someone else might have the choice to participate in what I consider to be such an awesome sport.

Tonight was such an occasion, your friend and mine TKarnes has just gotten back from the west coast were he blew it up hincapie style at Nats. Being that he flew back and left his bikes with the team he would have been without a ride for the next three or so weeks. Being that I have two bikes that are indeed ridiculous to have for the purpose of training I knew that I could help him out and put him together a ride so he can go destroy the heat of the summer training crit tomorrow night.

The kid had a great time out in chesapeake throwing Tkarnes bike together while we got eaten alive by bugs in the garage and his mom made brownies and cookies for us, which were ballin. An hour and a half later he's back in business, can't wait to get out there tomorrow night and race . As well to watch Tkarnes and see if he figures out SRAM quick enough to sprint in a race. A word to the wise is not to be on his wheel since a likely ghost shift or two will not bode well for putting down power.

1 comment:

jw said...

yo, I hope the kid doesnt scratch up your carbon force!