Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ridiculous

I had always heard from people that the classics races were intense and the cobbles were ridiculous, but I never really knew how bad. I heard Randy Owens down in G-vegas, SC talk about his trip to Belgium and France. He was talking about these cobbles and how they were insane. I've watched the Paris-Roubaix on TV and watched all those crazy dudes crash like it was their jobs. However, I just thought these guys were just a bunch of pussies and complaining about a few bumps in the road. I mean, I've gone over the cobbles down on Freemason in downtown Norfolk and they weren't that bad. I was bored just a minute ago and found this picture, all I can say is damn. How can anyone possibly ride over these things at race pace and not eat it hard? This is the kind of thing that makes a man; if you can ride this and not crash you are one of the best bike handlers in the world slash a cyclocross racer, who are also some crazy dudes. That being said, best of luck to big George this year in Paris-Roubaix. He's had the worst luck in this race while probably being the strongest rider in it about 6 times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that photo. Shows the cobbles all big and nasty like some sort of mini mountain range.